Request for Applications:
We seek national breeding programs that will drive genetic gain for the development of improved crop varieties for key product profiles that underpin economic growth, resilience and nutrition development goals.
The Feed the Future Innovation Lab for Crop Improvement collaborates with local scientists and national agricultural research institutes in East and West Africa, South Asia and Latin America and the Caribbean to develop resilient crop varieties of roots, tubers, banana, legumes, sorghum and millets that can produce higher yields, enhance nutrition and show greater resistance to pests and diseases. The Innovation Lab applies science, technology and innovation to make healthy food more accessible, stable, and gender- and market-responsive around the globe.
We seek to partner with National Agricultural Research Institutes (NARI) to identify, develop, pilot and transfer appropriate tools, technologies and methods (TTMs), equipping them to deliver increased genetic gain and new products.
- This RFA will support National Agriculture Research Institutes, as defined by FAO.
- NARI applicants must be actively involved in crop improvement research, with demonstrated variety development and release.
- Applications must clearly define all product profiles for target crops that the RFA will impact. Target crops include RTBs, legumes (excluding peanut and soybean), sorghum and millets.
- Support must be documented from NARI institution leadership (DDG level).
- Projects funded under this RFA must be led by a Principal Investigator (PI) based at a NARI from a Feed the Future target or aligned country in East Africa (Ethiopia, Kenya, Uganda, Burundi, Malawi, Mozambique, Rwanda, Somalia, South Sudan, Tanzania, Zambia, Zimbabwe), West Africa (Ghana, Mali, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal, Burkina Faso, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Guinea, Liberia, Sierra Leone), Asia (Bangladesh, Nepal, India, Burma, Cambodia, Georgia, Tajikistan) or Latin America and the Caribbean (Guatemala, Honduras, El Salvador, Belize, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Panama, Haiti, Mexico).