We connect with a global network of plant breeders, social scientists, farmers and communities that are transforming food security for a better and more just world.
A holistic approach to plant breeding
- Hershberger J, Morales N, Simoes CC, et al. Making waves in Breedbase: An integrated spectral data storage and analysis pipeline for plant breeding programs. Plant Phenome J. 2021;4:e20012. https://doi.org/10.1002/ppj2.20012.
- Poland, J., Rife, T., B., Courtney, C., & Neilsen, M.. Intercross: An Android app for plant breeding and genetics cross management. Crop Science. In publication.
- Poland, J., Gore, M. A., Hershberger, J., Rife, T., Courtney, C., & Neilsen, M. (September 2021). Prospector: A mobile application for portable, high-throughput near-infrared spectroscopy phenotyping(e20024). The Plant Phenome Journal, 4(1), N/A. https://acsess.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/ppj2.20024.
- Thavarajah, D., Thavarajah, P., Kumar, S., Johnson, N., Bridges, W., Shipe, E., & Boatwright, J. (July 2021). Genome-wide association mapping of lentil (Lens culinaris Medikus) prebiotic carbohydrates toward improved human health and crop stress tolerance(pp.1-12). Nature Food, 11(1), N/A. https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-021-93475-3.
- Nathan Johnson†, J Lucas Boatwright, William Bridges, Pushparajah Thavarajah, Shiv Kumar, Emerson Shipe, Dil Thavarajah‡, 2021. Genome-wide association mapping of lentil (Lens culinaris Medikus) prebiotic carbohydrates toward improved human health and crop stress tolerance. Scientific Reports, 11, 13926, https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-021-93475-3.
- Amod Udayanga†, Nathan Johnson†, Pushparajah Thavarajah, Leung Tang, Dil Thavarajah‡, 2021. Fourier-transform infrared spectroscopy (FTIR) as a high-throughput phenotyping tool for quantifying protein quality in pulse crops, The Plant Phenome Journal. TPPJ-2021-08-0014-OR. Under revision.
- Dil Thavarajah‡, Sarah Powers, Casey R. Johnson, George Vandermark, Pushparajah Thavarajah 2021. Pulse crop biofortification towards human health – target traits prebiotic carbohydrates, protein, and micronutrients. In: Biofortification of staple crops. Ed: Shiv Kumar, H.K.Dikshit, G.P.Mishra, and Akanksha Singh. Springer Nature.
- Merchan, K. (April 2021) Crop Improvement ≠ Plant Breeding: How the Feed the Future Innovation Lab for Crop Improvement Is Expanding Critical Engagement. CSA News Volume 6, Issue 5, p. 28-31. https://doi.org/10.1002/csan.20445
- Nathan Johnson†. Casey Johnson, Pushparajah Thavarajah, Shiv Kumar, Dil Thavarajah‡ 2020. Lentil prebiotic carbohydrates play a vital role in human and plant health. Plants, People, Planet. 00:1-10.
- Garner, E. (Oct. 2021). Gender Across USAID’s Feed the Future Innovation Labs: Lessons and approaches that cultivate gender-transformative agricultural development. Cultivating Equality Conference.
- Kresovich, S. (Oct. 2021). The future diversity of plant gene banks: The evolution of crop conservation management. Keynote address at the African Plant Breeders Association Conference.
- Tufan, H.A. (Oct. 2021). Looking beyond women traits: Analyzing gender and social differences for inclusive crop varietal design. Keynote address at the African Plant Breeders Association Conference.
- Esters, L. (Oct. 2021). Moving the Needle on STEAM Diversity through Collaborative Partnerships with Minority Serving Institutions. School of Integrative Plant Science Seminar, Cornell University.
- Kresovich, S., Rubin, D. Abraham, M., Robbins, K., Kane, N. (Aug. 2021) Innovation Lab for Crop Improvement (ILCI): Vision and Current Activities. 2021 National Association of Plant Breeders Annual Meeting.
- Tufan, H.A. Plant Breeding for Equitable Futures. Moderated session at the 2021 National Association of Plant Breeders Annual Meeting.
- Abraham, M. (Aug. 2021). Measuring Institutional Capacity in the Feed the Future Innovation Lab for Crop Improvement (ILCI): Factors Influencing Genetic Gain in Breeding Programs. Conference Presentation at the National Association of Plant Breeders, Virtual.
- Rubin, D. (Aug. 2021). Cross-Cutting Themes and Crop Improvement: Approach and Activities in ILCI. Conference Presentation at the National Association of Plant Breeders Annual Meeting, virtual.
- Mangheni, Margaret et al. (Aug. 2021). Reflections on the importance of context: Gender and self, workplace, and agricultural disciplines. ILCI Cross-Cutting Themes Webinar Series.
- Mangheni, Margaret et al. (Aug. 2021). Principles of mixed methods and qualitative research. ILCI Cross-Cutting Themes Webinar Series.
- Rubin, Deborah. (June 2021). Researching Gender Issues in Agricultural Value Chains for Crop Improvement. ILCI Cross-Cutting Themes Webinar Series.
- Forsythe, Lora. (June 2021) Making Sense of ‘Messy Data’: Creating Food Product Profiles. ILCI Cross-Cutting Themes Webinar Series.
- Eluri, T. and Morris, G. (Feb. 2021). Identifying and Addressing Gaps in Trait Discovery. ILCI Webinar.
- Six invited oral Phenomics presentations for international agriculture research meetings
- Tufan, H. A.. Gender-responsive breeding: Socially inclusive product profiles to transformative systems. Presentation to the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, December 8th, 2020.
- Three national and international conference articles including the 2020 ASA, CSSA & SSSA Annual Meeting (Nov. 9-13, 2020) https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PYZh1w3H8h1WlOx9GHeq88wL-PTrG65Q/view?usp=sharing