We connect with a global network of plant breeders, social scientists, farmers and communities that are transforming food security for a better and more just world.
A holistic approach to plant breeding
- Amagloh, Flora C., Archileo N. Kaaya, Gaston A. Tumuhimbise, Arnold Katungisa, Francis K. Amagloh, and Benard Yada. 2022. “Household Processing Methods and Their Impact on Bioactive Compounds and Antioxidant Activities of Sweetpotato Genotypes of Varying Storage Root Flesh Colours” Antioxidants 11, no. 10: 1867. doi.org/10.3390/antiox11101867
- Amagloh, Flora C., Archileo N. Kaaya, Benard Yada, Doreen Murenju Chelangat, Arnold Katungisa, Francis Kweku Amagloh, Gaston Ampe Tumuhimbise, Bioactive compounds and antioxidant activities in peeled and unpeeled sweetpotato roots of different varieties and clones in Uganda, Future Foods, Volume 6, 2022, 100183,ISSN 2666-8335, doi.org/10.1016/j.fufo.2022.100183.
- Amongi W, Nkalubo S, Ochwo-Ssemala M, Badji A, Dramadri O, Odongo LT, Nuwamanya E, Tukamuhabwe P, Izquierdo P, Cichy K, Kelly J and Mukankusi C. Genetic and Phenotype based Clustering, and Diversity of African Panel of Released Common Bean Genotypes and Breeding lines (submitted for review to the Genetic Resources and Crop Evolution)
- Bethany Fallon Econopouly, Brandon Monier, Terry Casstevens, and Francisco Agosto-Perez. Introduction to JupyterHub and R Basics. Web resource – videos of virtual JupyterHub training with exercises and learning modules.
- Hershberger, J., Mbanjo, E.G.N., Peteti, P., Ikpan, A.S., Ogunpaimo, K., Nafiu, K., Rabbi, I.Y., and Gore, M.A. 2022. Low-cost, handheld near-infrared spectroscopy for root dry matter content prediction in cassava. The Plant Phenome Journal 5:e20040. https://doi.org/10.1002/ppj2.20040. [Peer reviewed]
- Nkouaya Mbanjo, E.G., Hershberger, J., Peteti, P., Agbona, A., Ikpan A, Ogunpaimo, K., Kayondo, S.I., Abioye, R.S., Nafiu, K., Alamu, E.O., Adesokan, M., Maziya-Dixon, B., Parkes, E., Kulakow, P., Gore, M.A., Egesi, C., and Rabbi, I.Y. 2022. Predicting starch content in cassava fresh roots using near-infrared spectroscopy. Frontiers in Plant Science 13:990250. doi: 10.3389/fpls.2022.990250. Awaiting publication. [Peer review]
- Rife, T. W., Courtney, C., Bauchet, G., Neilsen, M., & Poland, J. A. (2022). Intercross: An Android app for plant breeding and genetics cross management. Crop Science, 62(2), 820-824. https://doi.org/10.1002/csc2.20702. [Peer reviewed]
- Tanaka, R., Wu, D., Li, X., Tibbs-Cortes, L.E., Wood, J.C., Magallanes-Lundback, M., Bornowski, N., Hamilton, J.P., Vaillancourt, B., Li, X., Deason, N.T., Schoenbaum, G.R., Buell, C.R., DellaPenna, D., Yu, J., and Gore, M.A. 2022. Leveraging prior biological knowledge improves prediction of tocochromanols in maize grain. The Plant Genome.
- Tibbs-Cortes, L.E., Guo, T., Li, X., Tanaka, R., Vanous, A.E., Peters, D., Gardner, C., Magallanes-Lundback, M., Deason, N.T., DellaPenna, D., Gore, M.A., and Yu, J. 2022. Genomic prediction of tocochromanols in exotic-derived maize. https://doi.org/10.1002/essoar.10511801.1. Under review. [Peer review] https://doi.org/10.1002/tpg2.20276. Awaiting publication. [Peer reviewed]
- Amod Udayanga, Leung Tang, Pushparajah Thavarajah, William Bridges, Emerson Shipe, George Vandemark, Dil Thavarajah, 2021. Essential fatty acids as a target nutritional trait for chickpea (Cicer arietinum) biofortification. Scientific Reports, Submission ID b7403f1c-77c2-42ab-b333-4d6bbeee0f0c. Under review. [Peer review]
- Wu, D., Li, X., Tanaka, R., Wood, J.C., Tibbs-Cortes, L.E., Magallanes-Lundback, M., Bornowski, N., Hamilton, J.P., Vaillancourt, B., Diepenbrock, C.H., Li, X., Deason, N.T., Schoenbaum, G.R., Yu, J., Buell, C.R., DellaPenna, D., and Gore, M.A. 2022. Combining GWAS and TWAS to identify candidate causal genes for tocochromanol levels in maize grain. Genetics 221:iyac091. https://doi.org/10.1093/genetics/iyac091. [Peer reviewed]
- Hershberger J, Morales N, Simoes CC, et al. Making waves in Breedbase: An integrated spectral data storage and analysis pipeline for plant breeding programs. Plant Phenome J. 2021;4:e20012. https://doi.org/10.1002/ppj2.20012.
- Poland, J., Rife, T., B., Courtney, C., & Neilsen, M.. Intercross: An Android app for plant breeding and genetics cross management. Crop Science. In publication.
- Poland, J., Gore, M. A., Hershberger, J., Rife, T., Courtney, C., & Neilsen, M. (September 2021). Prospector: A mobile application for portable, high-throughput near-infrared spectroscopy phenotyping(e20024). The Plant Phenome Journal, 4(1), N/A. https://acsess.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/ppj2.20024.
- Thavarajah, D., Thavarajah, P., Kumar, S., Johnson, N., Bridges, W., Shipe, E., & Boatwright, J. (July 2021). Genome-wide association mapping of lentil (Lens culinaris Medikus) prebiotic carbohydrates toward improved human health and crop stress tolerance(pp.1-12). Nature Food, 11(1), N/A. https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-021-93475-3.
- Nathan Johnson†, J Lucas Boatwright, William Bridges, Pushparajah Thavarajah, Shiv Kumar, Emerson Shipe, Dil Thavarajah‡, 2021. Genome-wide association mapping of lentil (Lens culinaris Medikus) prebiotic carbohydrates toward improved human health and crop stress tolerance. Scientific Reports, 11, 13926, https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-021-93475-3.
- Amod Udayanga†, Nathan Johnson†, Pushparajah Thavarajah, Leung Tang, Dil Thavarajah‡, 2021. Fourier-transform infrared spectroscopy (FTIR) as a high-throughput phenotyping tool for quantifying protein quality in pulse crops, The Plant Phenome Journal. TPPJ-2021-08-0014-OR. Under revision.
- Dil Thavarajah‡, Sarah Powers, Casey R. Johnson, George Vandermark, Pushparajah Thavarajah 2021. Pulse crop biofortification towards human health – target traits prebiotic carbohydrates, protein, and micronutrients. In: Biofortification of staple crops. Ed: Shiv Kumar, H.K.Dikshit, G.P.Mishra, and Akanksha Singh. Springer Nature.
- Merchan, K. (April 2021) Crop Improvement ≠ Plant Breeding: How the Feed the Future Innovation Lab for Crop Improvement Is Expanding Critical Engagement. CSA News Volume 6, Issue 5, p. 28-31. https://doi.org/10.1002/csan.20445
- Nathan Johnson†. Casey Johnson, Pushparajah Thavarajah, Shiv Kumar, Dil Thavarajah‡ 2020. Lentil prebiotic carbohydrates play a vital role in human and plant health. Plants, People, Planet. 00:1-10.
- Adikini, S. Finger millet production practices, challenges and opportunities in East Africa. Presentation at the “Harnessing the potential of Finger millet for Achieving Food and Nutritional Security: Challenges and Prospects (ICFM-2022)” Conference (virtual) at the University of Bangalore, Bangalore, India. Delivered on January 20th, 2022.
- Garner, E. and D. Rubin. 2021. “Developing the Foundation: Innovation Lab for Crop Improvement (ILCI).” Presentation for the Cultivating Equality online conference (October 12-15).
- Kampanje-Phiri, Jessica. “Inclusive Cowpea Breeding Innovation in Malawi,” an invited presentation at the 2022 Innovation Lab Council Meeting in Washington, DC. Delivered on September 21, 2022.
- Brandon Monier, Bethany F. Econopouly, Terry M. Casstevens, Francisco J. Agosto-Pérez, Peter J. Bradbury, Edward S. Buckler. 2022. Cloudifying reproducible genetic analyses: Integrating TASSEL and R with JupyterHub. Presented at the CROPS Conference, Huntsvie, Alabama, June 13-16, 2022.
- Morris, G. P. How to adapt sorghum for climate change? NARS-led breeding networks and many small decisive experiments. Agrilinks online webinar. Delivered February 10th, 2022.
- Puerto, S. A. Technology adoption in agriculture: a methods’ review. Research seminar, Miguel Gomez group, Cornell University. Delivered on September 23rd, 2022.
- Tufan, H. A. Beyond “women’s traits”: Analyzing gender and social differences for inclusive crop varietal design. Panel presentation for the Cultivating Equality 2021 Conference (virtual), October 14th, 2021.
- Tufan, H. A. Prioritizing Gender Equality from Afterthought to Guiding Goal of Agricultural Innovation. Invited presentation, CALS Dean’s Inclusive Excellence Seminar Series, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY. Delivered on March 9th, 2022.
- Tufan, H. A. Shifting Gender Equality from Afterthought to Guiding Goal of Agricultural Innovation. Invited conference presentation, Iowa State University, Ames, Iowa. Delivered on March 24th, 2022.
- Tufan, H. A. Shifting Gender Equality from Afterthought to Guiding Goal of Agricultural Innovation. Invited presentation, CGIAR Market Intelligence Initiative meeting, Nairobi, Kenya. Delivered in April, 2022.
- Garner, E. (Oct. 2021). Gender Across USAID’s Feed the Future Innovation Labs: Lessons and approaches that cultivate gender-transformative agricultural development. Cultivating Equality Conference.
- Kresovich, S. (Oct. 2021). The future diversity of plant gene banks: The evolution of crop conservation management. Keynote address at the African Plant Breeders Association Conference.
- Tufan, H.A. (Oct. 2021). Looking beyond women traits: Analyzing gender and social differences for inclusive crop varietal design. Keynote address at the African Plant Breeders Association Conference.
- Esters, L. (Oct. 2021). Moving the Needle on STEAM Diversity through Collaborative Partnerships with Minority Serving Institutions. School of Integrative Plant Science Seminar, Cornell University.
- Kresovich, S., Rubin, D. Abraham, M., Robbins, K., Kane, N. (Aug. 2021) Innovation Lab for Crop Improvement (ILCI): Vision and Current Activities. 2021 National Association of Plant Breeders Annual Meeting.
- Tufan, H.A. Plant Breeding for Equitable Futures. Moderated session at the 2021 National Association of Plant Breeders Annual Meeting.
- Abraham, M. (Aug. 2021). Measuring Institutional Capacity in the Feed the Future Innovation Lab for Crop Improvement (ILCI): Factors Influencing Genetic Gain in Breeding Programs. Conference Presentation at the National Association of Plant Breeders, Virtual.
- Rubin, D. (Aug. 2021). Cross-Cutting Themes and Crop Improvement: Approach and Activities in ILCI. Conference Presentation at the National Association of Plant Breeders Annual Meeting, virtual.
- Mangheni, Margaret et al. (Aug. 2021). Reflections on the importance of context: Gender and self, workplace, and agricultural disciplines. ILCI Cross-Cutting Themes Webinar Series.
- Mangheni, Margaret et al. (Aug. 2021). Principles of mixed methods and qualitative research. ILCI Cross-Cutting Themes Webinar Series.
- Rubin, Deborah. (June 2021). Researching Gender Issues in Agricultural Value Chains for Crop Improvement. ILCI Cross-Cutting Themes Webinar Series.
- Forsythe, Lora. (June 2021) Making Sense of ‘Messy Data’: Creating Food Product Profiles. ILCI Cross-Cutting Themes Webinar Series.
- Eluri, T. and Morris, G. (Feb. 2021). Identifying and Addressing Gaps in Trait Discovery. ILCI Webinar.
- Six invited oral Phenomics presentations for international agriculture research meetings
- Tufan, H. A.. Gender-responsive breeding: Socially inclusive product profiles to transformative systems. Presentation to the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, December 8th, 2020.
- Three national and international conference articles including the 2020 ASA, CSSA & SSSA Annual Meeting (Nov. 9-13, 2020) https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PYZh1w3H8h1WlOx9GHeq88wL-PTrG65Q/view?usp=sharing